One of the things I find most fun about jewelry is that I adore breathing new life into pieces by mixing, matching and layering. But knowing how to layer necklaces properly without it ending up in a bit of a mess can be a tricky art. So much so that you might end up avoiding it all together! Learn to layer with confidence with this short & fun video and our how-to guide below. Enjoy!
STEP 1: Length
Here’s a cheat sheet for the typical lengths you’ll want to shop for when you layer two or more necklaces together. By staying in line with the below recommended lengths you’ll create spacing between each piece that looks very complimentary.
- 1st necklace: 14-15 inches
- 2nd necklace: 16-18 inches
- 3rd necklace: 20-22 inches (or more)
STEP 2: Style
You can use three necklaces that are similar in style or vastly different. This is just a matter of opinion! Here’s our recommendation:
- 1st necklace: plain chain or one with a small charm such as the Linked Choker or Baguette necklace
- 2nd necklace: a bit more detailing with either a slightly bigger charm or a pointed charm such as the Evil Eye or Little Dipper necklace
- 3rd necklace: this necklace tends to be the one that stands out the most by way of a very unique chain with more delicate details or hanging charms that are more noticeable. The following lariats are great as the third layer: Guinevere, King & Queen or Needle & Thread
STEP 3: Layer up, take a selfie and tag us in your post (@katiedeanjewelry)!